Monday, June 8, 2009

essay

an english schoolwork in form 6
essay title: Write a story ending with "...the falling rain added to the general sadness of the day."



Unlike normal Sundays, that Sunday was not bright and sunny. The sky ahead us was dark and cloudy, and because of the air-conditioner in the car, my hands were stiff and cold as if they were made of ice. However, they were not as cold as my heart, feeling the loss that could never be replaced.

Everyone else in the car was feeling very much the same. My mother had had a handkerchief clutched between her fingers, wiping away the tears on her pale cheeks every now and then.It was another five kilometres to the graveyard. The black van which followed behind our car held his coffin, and he was lying stiffly inside. He had to go to heaven so early because of liver cancer, leaving my mother, my eleven-year-old brother, ten-year-old me and my two-year-old sister.

Not long after, we reached and parked by the graveyard. While we were getting down from the car, four men held each side of his coffin and lifted him out from the van. They headed towards the graveyard, and we followed them with heavy footsteps. Finally, we stopped at a piece of land with green grass.

The four men put down his coffin and opened the cover. We were given a last chance to look at him before they sealed the coffin. Shivering, I slowly walked towards his coffin. I leaned over and looked into the coffin. Immediately, my heart gave a jolt. His face and lips were as pale as a piece of white paper and he no longer had the smile he used to have on his face. It was really a heart-breaking sight. I could not control my tears anymore, they ran down my cheeks uncontrollably like a running tap.

However, they had to seal his coffin at last. Then, they started lowering it into a big hole dug on the grassy land. My sister who could not understand what was going on, still ran around and laughed happily. On the other hand, the handkerchief in my mother's hand was already soaked with tears. When the men had lowered his coffin into the hole, they started covering it with soil. I felt as if my heart was also buried into the earth with him. It was not easy to accept the fact that I would not see him ever again.

Lastly, we said our deepest prayers to him and it was time to go home. The sky turned black and I felt tiny raindrops falling on me as I walked towards the car. God seemed to understand our pain and the falling rain added to the general sadness of the day.

No comments: